Home Tags Ludum Dare

Ludum Dare 33: Post Mortem

Shark Swimulator Title Screen

Another Ludum Dare has come and gone. Colby and I decided to participate again, this time taking a more active approach than four months ago when we decided to enter on a whim. We spent about a week setting up a code base we felt comfortable with and even came up with a few ideas for each potential theme to help us get the ball rolling right away. We also too an active role in voting and were very happy with the theme for Ludum Dare 33: You are the Monster.

To prepare our code, we first decided on the libraries we would be using so we could create template project that was ready to go. Firstly, we have recently switched paradigms and have moved away from class-based object-oriented programming (OOP) in favour of data-driven entity-component-systems (ECS). We have significantly improved the readability and sensibility of our code with this switch and I plan to do a write up about it at some point. Knowing that we'd be using ECS, our first library of choice was the truthfully named tiny-ecs. We've been using tiny-ecs for a little while now and it's just magical. It works great, is super fast, and very flexible. We were intent on making a 3D game so naturally we included LÖVE3D, CPML, IQE, and our new animation library anim9. I'll note here that we had a serious bug in our IQM library that has since been fixed, but was not ready for Ludum Dare. Our IQM library is about 40x faster than

Read More →

My First Ludum Dare!

Alright, now that we’ve had some much needed sleep, it’s time to talk about our project, “Not My Panties!”. We weren’t originally planning to join Ludum Dare, but once the theme was released, myself and Colby decide to at least think up some ideas. After about two hours of brainstorming, we settled on “A game where a cross-dressing boy is avoiding being outed by fighting off his pursuers with a giant DS Touch Pen”. With a subject and weapon in mind, we committed to enter our first Ludum Dare Jam.

With commitment to the jam, we needed to work out exactly what sort of game we were going to make. Since it was our first jam, we decided on taking the easy route and making a turn-based battle system. I had made one of these before for a different game, so it was minimal effort to recreate it for LD. To add a little bit of depth to the game, we decided to go with a visual novel style for the story screen. Now that we had a fully mapped out plan, we got to work.

I started working on the battle system while Colby gathered up some 3D models we had kicking around and added a basic-but-working skeletal rig to our character model. By the end of the first day, we had the basic skeleton of gameplay working, a basic UI, and some little things like circle shadows for our models. We ended up spending most of day one fighting with our

Read More →